Virtual Learning Systems, Inc. is a digital educational company on a mission to provide teachers with user-friendly, creative and highly visual online tools designed to get students excited again about learning.
VLS responded to the new federal government mandates requiring a return to a robust social studies education. The directive came after years of budget cuts to social studies and subsequent complaints from employers that many graduates couldn’t think critically, collaborate, solve problems or communicate.
VLS developed a vigorous social studies curriculum that blends online technology with inquiry-based and experiential learning. The curriculum is aligned with state and federal standards.
VLS began by asking teachers what they need. Based on that research, VLS identified 10 key educational units under the government-mandated strands of geography, history, government and economics. Each unit contains teaching segments that align with the four dimensions of the C-3 Framework preparing students for college, careers and civic responsibility.
Available Units under Phase One of the VLS Offering
- American Revolution – Rebellion Leads to Freedom
- Illinois Constitution – Guiding Government in The Prairie State
- U.S. Constitution – A Living Document
- First European Settlements – The Courageous Life of Early Pioneers
- Ellis Island and Immigration — A Gateway to Liberty and Opportunity
- Montgomery Bus Boycott and Civil Rights Movement — The Struggle for Justice and Equality
- Causes and Consequences of World War I – The War to End all Wars
- U.S. Entry into World War II – A Battle to Preserve Democracy
- History of Labor Unions in the U.S. – A Fight for Better Wages and Working Conditions
- Grand Canyon – Exploring a Natural Treasure
- How to Pass a Bill – Laws in the Making
- The Great Chicago Fire –Turning Tragedy into Triumph
- The New York Stock Exchange – A Look at the World’s Largest Securities Market